Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Day in the Life Revisited

I wrote the following Day in the Life a YEAR ago. I have to say that even though I have started my own business, my days are not nearly as crazy as they once were. I believe it is because I have learned to prioritize and simplify where I can. Looking back on this day, I remember feeling like a freaking rock star that I survived it! I am very grateful that this is not the norm and I'm enjoying a slower paced life!

For your entertainment, take a look at a not-so-typical day in my life circa Fall 2015!

I think I might just throw in the towel some days if I didn't feel 100% positive that having five children is my calling in life. Some days I excel and Jared and I high five at how awesome we are. Other days I want to hide in the closet and pretend Mary Poppins is downstairs caring for my children.
Today was one of those days that reinforced the fact that 5 KIDS IS A LOT of KIDS! It wasn't bad, it was just insane. I am so glad this isn't a typical day and that tomorrow, I just have to fold those 7 loads of laundry I managed to wash today.  Take a look at a day in the life.

5:30: Alarm goes off for scheduled "Me" time and exercise. I find 2 year old in my bed and fear that getting out of bed will wake her, so I lay there for an hour trying to decide how to get out stealthily. I ultimately give up.
6:30-7:15: 5 year old comes in whining that his breakfast isn't ready. Since I literally slept in my clothes from the day before, I roll out of bed and head downstairs. Make lunches, make breakfast, eat breakfast, read scriptures, say family prayer, kiss 7 year old and 5 year old goodbye.
7:30: Nurse 6 month old while Dad takes everyone for a walk to see school kids off at the bus stop.
8:00: Rejoice that Dad is working from home on his late shift, so I squeeze in exercise and a shower!
9:30-11:30: Put baby down for a nap. Jared starts work and I build a city with Landon and Miriam. Proceed to attend to other "Mom" duties: snack getting, booty wiping, nose wiping, treat making for neighbors, lunch making, laundry,etc.
11:30: Nurse 6 month old while 4 year old and 2 year old play.
12:00: Allow children to entertain themselves while I make lunch for self and Jared.
2:00: Actually eat lunch I made and wonder what happened to the last 2 hours
2:30: Nurse 6 month old and put him down for nap #2. Walk to bus stop with 4 year old and 2 year old to pick up 5 year old and 7 year old.
3:00: Homework, agenda signing, talking about the day, etc.
4:00: Wake baby, load car with all 5 kids, head to friend's birthday party at the park.
4:30: Birthday party shenanigans. Children have a blast and get dirty and eat junk food. 2 year old poops her pants, clean her up with extra clothing I was awesome enough to bring. More birthday party shenanigans. Feed baby squash and change his diaper. Bump his head on hard park bench while changing diaper and spend 5 minutes getting him to stop freaking out. 2 year old wets her pants and proceeds to disrobe in middle of the park. Change her clothes again, except this time I only have extra undies. Pants and shoes/socks are ruined. Hurry everyone into car.
6:30: Once in car, head to church for 7 year old's first night as a Cub Scout.  It is a Pack Meeting so I am obligated to stay. (Apparently, pack meetings are family affairs.) Call Jared and ask him to bring extra clothes and shoes for 2 year old.  On the way to the church, 2 year old wets her pants again. Extra bonus: Car seat is now filled with urine and it's on my shirt because I didn't know she was wet and I picked her up to take her in the church (remember she has no shoes). How much did she drink at that dagum party?!
7:00: Meet Jared at the church (he has his Boy Scout obligation at the same time, so I'm still ALONE with everyone and they are hopped up on goodie bag candies and junk food). He brings clothes, but forgets shoes. Head inside looking like white trash. Finally go to the bathroom.  Enjoy Pack Meeting and that smile on my 7 year old's face is priceless when he is officially welcomed as a Scout. Calm a fussy, tired 6 month old for 45 minutes. Keep pulling up my pants because they are too big, which is AWESOME.
8:15: Get the heck out of there and head home.  Enjoy beautiful, nearly full moon on the drive home. 7 year old totally steps up and helps all the others get showered, dressed and teeth brushed while I nurse 6 month old and put him to bed.  7 year old even reads the younger children a story. As I finish nursing 6 month old, hear Jared enter house and tuck everyone in. Lay baby down and tuck everyone in. Start laundry to wash all the urine soaked clothing and car seat.
9:00: Write blog post and eat dinner. Bedtime is on the horizon. And, I am soooooooooo happy I made tapioca pudding last night, because I plan to eat 2 servings! And, I only hollered twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment